Let's Get Cooking!
Take advantage of your July Member Specials
with these yummy recipes!
Kale Salad w/ Carrot Ginger Dressing
Carrot Ginger Dressing (See note)
- ½ cup chopped roasted carrots, from 3/4 cup raw carrots
- 1/3 to ½ cup water
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 batch Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves torn
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small red beet, grated
- ½ watermelon radish, very thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pepitas, toasted
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Sea salt & Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the dressing and roast the chickpeas: Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the chickpeas with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with pinches of salt and pepper. Place the carrot pieces for the dressing in their own corner on the baking sheet to roast alongside the chickpeas. Roast for 25 minutes, or until the chickpeas are browned and crisp and the carrots are soft. Set the roasted chickpeas aside. Transfer the carrots to a blender and add the water, olive oil, rice vinegar, ginger, and salt. Blend the dressing until smooth and chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place the kale leaves into a large bowl and drizzle with the lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of olive oil, and a few pinches of salt. Use your hands to massage the leaves until they become soft and wilted and reduce in the bowl by about half.
- Add the carrot, beet, watermelon radish, half of the cubed avocado, cranberries, pepitas, a few more good pinches of salt and a few grinds of pepper, and toss. Drizzle generously with the carrot ginger dressing. Top with the remaining avocado, more dressing, the roasted chickpeas and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Season to taste and serve.
– Make the dressing ahead so it has time to chill in the fridge before adding to the salad.
Marinated Ahi Tuna
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) Ahi tuna steaks
- In a large non-reactive dish, mix together the orange juice, soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Place the tuna steaks in the marinade and turn to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Lightly oil grill grate. Cook tuna steaks for 5 to 6 minutes, then turn and baste with the marinade. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or to desired doneness. Discard any remaining marinade.
Mediterranean Beyond Burger
- 2 Beyond Burgers
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 2 hamburger buns
- ½ red onion
- Crumbled plant-based feta
- Bring a grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle each side of the Beyond Burger patties with ground coriander. Add patties to the pan and cook according to packaging, about 4 minutes each side.
- While the Beyond Burger cooks, slice the red onion into half-inch slices. Cook the slices flat side down on the grill pan until the onion is tender and has begun to caramelize, about 5 – 7 minutes each side.
- Prepare the spicy ketchup: stir together ¼ cup ketchup and 1/2 tsp. curry powder.
- Remove patty and onion from the grill pan. Heat the buns on the pan.
- Once cooked, serve the Beyond Burgers on a toasted bun topped with spicy ketchup, grilled onion, cilantro, and crumbled feta.
Banana Pudding Egg Roll
Yields 12 servings
- 1 package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/4 c. whole milk
- 24 Nilla Wafers
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 4 medium bananas, cut into thirds
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Whipped topping, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine vanilla pudding and milk. Refrigerate for 2 minutes, or until thick.
- Crush Nilla Wafers and place the crumbs on a shallow plate.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface in a diamond shape and place a heaping spoonful of pudding in the center. Top with a piece of banana and fold up the bottom half and tightly fold in sides. Gently roll, then seal fold with a couple drops of water. Repeat until all bananas are used.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil (it should reach 1″ up the side of pan) until a drop of water bubbles in pan. Add egg rolls and fry until golden, 1 minute per side. Immediately transfer egg rolls to plate with crushed Nilla Wafers and roll to coat. Serve with whipped topping for dipping.
From all of us here at the Co-op, we are honored to be serving our community during this time and
thank you for supporting your local food coop!