Let's Get Cooking!
In this month’s recipe edition we’re giving a nod to the BIG GAME this Sunday. You’ll find several game day favorites and of course
you’ll find all your ingredients at MOCO and you’ll even be able to
use some of those February member specials!
- 2 Equal Exchange organic avocados
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
Peel and mash avocados in a medium serving bowl. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper. Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for half an hour to blend flavors.
Enjoy with cut up veggies or your favorite corn chips!
Big Mac Potato Skins
INGREDIENTS: For the Potato Skins
- 4 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Chopped cherry tomatoes, for topping
- Finely shredded iceberg lettuce, for topping
- Sweet pickle relish, for serving
INGREDIENTS: For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with foil and lay the potatoes on top. Pierce all over with a fork, then rub the potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until the skin is crispy and the potato is tender, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, make filling: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add ground beef. Season with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper, and cook until the ground beef is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Make sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, and paprika until smooth.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon, leaving a ¼ inch by the skin. Return the potatoes, cut side up, to the baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Top with cooked ground beef, shredded Cheddar, and sesame seeds. Broil until the cheese is bubbling, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer skins to a server platter and top with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, and pickle relish. Drizzle with sauce and serve warm.
Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
This recipe is naturally plant-based and vegan as long as you use your favorite nondairy milk (such as almond milk) and either oil or a nondairy butter spread instead of dairy butter. For gluten free ‘wings’, use almond flour or gf all purpose flour.
- 1/2 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- oil spray or oil
- 1/4 cup flour or almond meal
- 3 tbsp milk of choice
- optional 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce or hot sauce
- 1-4 tsp oil or butter spread
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a large baking dish with parchment. Spray florets with oil spray or toss with a little oil. Place in either a very large bowl or a large ziploc bag. Toss with the flour and garlic powder until evenly coated. If using the breadcrumbs for added crunch, finely crush them. Add the milk of choice and then the breadcrumbs to the cauliflower, and toss to coat. Arrange in one layer in the baking pan. Bake on the center rack 25 minutes. Combine the oil or melted butter to spread with the buffalo sauce (because the fat helps the sauce adhere to the cauliflower). Dip cauliflower in sauce. Bake another 15 minutes. After this time, I like to broil for up to 5 minutes, watching so it does not burn.
Game Day Chocolate Bark
- 8 oz. Equal Exchange dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup of your favorite Equal Exchange bulk nuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave, stirring every 20 seconds until melted and smooth. Spread onto parchment in 8- by 12-inch rectangle.
- Scatter nuts over chocolate and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes. Break into pieces to serve. Can be refrigerated up to 1 week.
From all of us here at MOCO, we are honored to be serving our community during this time and
thank you for supporting your local food coop!