Let's Get Cooking!
Welcome to the first recipe edition of our weekly emails. These recipes utilize some of the Monthly Member Specials items…
and most, if not all recipe ingredients, can be found at MOCO.
Vegetarian Shepard’s Pie
- 1 16oz. package of Beyond Meat Ground Beyond Beef
- 1 medium to large onion
- 4-5 medium potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold or other yellow potato
- 1 16oz. package of either Cascadian Farms Organic sweet corn or their mixed vegetables – cooked
- 1 8oz. package of Cabot Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 bulb of roasted garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel and quarter potatoes – add to cold water and bring to a boil, add a small amount of salt, reduce to a simmer and cook potatoes until tender – about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and cover.
- While potatoes cook, peel and dice onion. Bring a large sauté pan (12”) to medium heat, add 2 to 3 tbsp. of EVO(extra virgin olive oil). Add onion and sauté until tender. Add Beyond Beef – season with thyme, salt and pepper and warm thoroughly – about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Warm your cream and melt butter in a small pan or in the microwave. Add the roasted garlic cloves to potatoes and start to mash. Add cream and butter and mash until they’re the consistence you want. Be sure not to over mash or your potatoes will become gummy.
- Add the Beyond Beef mixture to an oven safe glass pan, covering the bottom of the pan. Add corn or mixed veggies as the second layer. Be sure to completely cover the Beyond Beef. Layer mashed potatoes over veggies, again completely cover the layer below. Top with cheese and place in a preheated oven for 10 minutes or until completely heated throughout and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with vegetarian mushroom gravy(see below), fresh green beans and organic cranberry sauce.
Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
- 12 oz. of sliced mushrooms of your choice (portabella, cremini, etc)
- 4 oz. butter
- 1/4 cup flour (regular or GF)
- 1 qt Pacific Foods Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 pinch of fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme to taste
- In a large sauté pan melt butter over medium heat until it foams.
- Stir in mushrooms and season with salt.
- Simmer until liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of broth, stirring briskly until incorporated, then add the remaining broth and mix thoroughly. Season with black pepper and thyme. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring often.
NOTE – Vegan options can be substituted for any of the non-vegan items in either recipe.
Simple Beef Stew
- 1 1lb package Black River Meats Organic Stew Beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp King Arthur All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (or regular flour)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped large
- 2-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large carrots cut into chunks
- 1-2 Yukon Gold potatoes diced into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Season the beef chunks on all sides with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the flour over and toss the seasoned beef to coat it on all sides.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the beef in batches, on all sides, for 3-4 minutes per batch. Don’t worry about cooking the beef all the way through at this stage. Transfer the browned beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic, and carrots to the Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Add the potatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce, and use a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring, and return the beef to the pot. Cover the Dutch oven, and transfer to the preheated oven.
- Cook the stew for 2-2.5 hours, or until the beef is very tender. Remove the bay leaf. Taste the stew and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve warm.
You may add an additional 1-2 cups of water or more broth if you like to have more broth on your stew.
Loaded Savvy Skillet Frittata
- 6 large eggs (use 8 for a 12-inch skillet)
- 1/2 almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 2-4 Beyond Meat Breakfast Sausage Patties (Classic or Spicy), cubed
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 Yukon Gold Potato, diced
- 1-2 tomatoes (sliced for topping) (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk the eggs, almond milk, and salt & pepper until well combined.
- Add in broccoli, onion, asparagus, spinach, potato, diced breakfast patties, cheddar cheese, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Pour into 8″ cast iron skillet (12″ if using 8 eggs).
- Carefully arrange sliced tomatoes on top.
- Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes or until the center is set, and not jiggly.
Savvy Skillet Saucy Pork Chops
- 6 Black River Meats Boneless Pork Loin Chops
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 6 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 2/3 cups red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsps honey (or molasses)
- 1 cup water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- First, sprinkle both sides of the pork chops with sea salt.
- Next, heat a portion of the oil in a large skillet to medium high. When the oil starts to simmer, cook the pork chops on one side, without touching them, for about 3 minutes until they are seared and golden brown.
- Flip the pork chops, and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Transfer the chops to a plate, cover with foil, and set aside. (They will finish cooking later.)
- Reduce the heat to low. Add more oil to the skillet. Stir in the sliced garlic, stir, and cook for 2 minutes until golden.
- Carefully stir in the red wine vinegar and honey. Whisk and stir until bubbly, gently increasing the heat until the liquid reduces by half, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the water, and stir in thyme and black pepper. Bring to a low boil, cook and stir until the mixture has thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the butter, stir and swirl in the pan until the sauce is smooth.
- Return the pork chops (along with any drippings on the plate) to the skillet. Coat with the sauce and cook through for about 5 minutes. Finally, serve hot with sauce over the top.
From all of us here at MOCO, we are honored to be serving our community during this time and
thank you for supporting your local food coop!