Happy Valentine's Day!
Valentine’s Day is Sunday, February 14th. The origin of Valentine’s Day seems to be shrouded in mystery, but at MOCO, we know you’ll want to celebrate with that special someone.
Here are a few ideas to make this Valentine’s Day
safe and one you’ll always remember!
DIY Things to Do with Your Valentine!
- Take a hike: Even if it’s cold, taking a hike is a great way to unplug and unwind.
- Bake something sweet: Baking is fun and you get to eat your creations!
- Eat breakfast in bed: Enjoy a Valentine’s breakfast while lounging in bed together.
- Go for a drive: No destination? No problem. All you need is a tank of gas and a sense of adventure.
- Cook dinner together: A special home-cooked meal can be so much more romantic than going out to eat.
- Write love letters to each other: If you haven’t done it before, now’s the time to put in writing why your partner is so special to you.
- Have a romantic movie marathon: Grab the popcorn and settle in for your favorite romantic movies like Moonstruck, The Notebook, If Beale Street Could Talk, etc.
- Make some music together: Who cares if you (or they) can’t carry a tune? Have fun singing duets like Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers or You’re the One That I Want from Grease!
Stop By and Pick Up Something Special
Passionate Wines Del Mono Tinto (2019)
A fresh and lively blend of Malbec and Syrah. These two grapes typically produce dark, inky wines, but that’s not the case here. You’ll find flavors of juicy blackberry and cherry with supple tannins.
Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon (2018)
Intense ruby red color. The nose is rich in fruit aromas, offering fresh plums, cherries, and ripe raspberries followed by pleasant black currant notes. Fruit aromas mingle harmoniously with hints of licorice and white pepper. The palate is fresh and juicy, with remarkably well-balanced acidity, alcohol, and tannins. A wine with a delightfully captivating personality.
Mixed Fresh Flower Bouquets
Who doesn’t love flowers?
Especially in February from someone special…
Large Bouquet $12.99
Petite Bouquet $8.99
Of course chocolate has to be on the list of Valentine’s Day goodies. We have quite a few options including Equal Exchange and Rabble-Rouser.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries Recipe
- High quality chocolate. You can use chips, chopped chocolate bars, etc. You can also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate. The amount of chocolate is determined by how many strawberries you are dipping.
- Fresh strawberries
Since this is such a simple recipe with just two basic ingredients, the quality of chocolate is really important. The higher quality of chocolate, the better they will taste. One batch of chocolate covered strawberries only takes about 20 minutes to make!
HOW TO MELT CHOCOLATE FOR DIPPING:
The easiest way to melt chocolate is in a double boiler or in the microwave. If you don’t own a double boiler, you can make your own with a simple saucepan and heat-safe glass bowl (see tutorial below).
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN DOUBLE BOILER:
- Fill a saucepan 1/4 full with water and bring the water to a low gentle boil.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and set a large (heat-proof) glass bowl on top, making sure the bowl tightly covers the pot. Make sure there are a few inches of space between the bottom of the bowl and the water.
- Add chocolate to the bowl and stir constantly, until melted and smooth.
- Remove the bowl from heat and add a handful of reserved chocolate to the bowl to temper the chocolate. Stir until the additional chocolate has melted.
HOW TO MELT CHOCOLATE IN A MICROWAVE:
Set your microwave at half power and stir the chocolate every 30 seconds until smooth.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES:
- Wash and dry the strawberries.
- Prepare desired toppings (nuts, toasted coconut, etc.)
- Prepare your workspace with a parchment lined baking tray to place the dipped strawberries on.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Dip the strawberries in melted chocolate.
- Coat in desired toppings.
- Lay the strawberries on prepared baking sheet and allow them to rest until the chocolate has set.
- Drizzle with melted white chocolate if desired.
TOPPING IDEAS FOR CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES:
- Chopped Nuts (peanuts, pistachios, pecans, etc.)
- Toasted coconut
- Mini chocolate chips (any flavor)
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Crushed Oreo cookies
- Melted white chocolate
- Crushed candy canes
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES:
Store chocolate covered strawberries in a cool location. You may store them in the refrigerator, uncovered, up to one day, leaving them on the same baking sheet you placed them on after dipping. If serving them the same day you make them (which is preferred), store them uncovered on your counter, away from sunlight or heat.
Please do NOT freeze chocolate covered strawberries. As they thaw the strawberries will release moisture and ruin the chocolate coating.
Dipped strawberries will last 1 or 2 days maximum so you have permission to eat them all!
From all of us here at MOCO, we are honored to be serving our community during this time and
thank you for supporting your local food coop!