Eating Local & Organic
Is Eating Organic Healthier?
Incorporating fresh, local, organic food into your meal planning as often as possible can make a huge difference in your health and well being. Not to mention its benefits on the local economy and the environment.
Below are a few interesting facts about eating organic.
- Organic food is often fresher
- Organic produce contains fewer pesticides
- Organic farming is better for the environment
- Organically raised animals are NOT given antibiotics, growth hormones, or food containing animal by-products
- Organic meat & milk are richer in certain nutrients
- Organic food is GMO-free
Why Eat Locally Grown Food?
Money stays within the local economy and more money goes directly to the farmer.
In the U.S. the average distance a meal travels from farm to dinner plate is over 1,500 miles. Produce must be picked before it is ripe, then gassed to “ripen’ it after transport.
Local food is harvested when ripe so it’s fresher and full of flavor.
Recipe Using Local, Organic Products
All ingredients in this recipe can be found at MOCO (depending on availability) and most are local and/or organic!
L = Local options
O = Organic options
Zucchini Frittata Dinner
1 small onion (L,O)
1 clove garlic (L,O)
2 large swiss chard leaves (include stems) (L,O)
1 medium-sized zucchini (L,O)
6 eggs (L)
3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (L)
2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil (O)
1/2 teaspoon fresh basil ( or 1/4 dried) (L,O)
1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or 1/4 dried)( L,O)
- Heat oil in wide frying pan over medium-high heat
- Finely chop onion
- Press or mince garlic
- Coarsely chop chard and zucchini
- Add onion, garlic, chard and zucchini to frying pan, cook, stirring occasionally till soft (5 minutes)
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs lightly with basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste
- Stir in cheese and vegetables
- Pour into a greased 9-inch pie pan
- Bake in 350° oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until puffed, set in middle and browned
- Serve hot or at room temperature
Serve with a side of local, organic greens and fresh local bread!
From all of us here at MOCO, we are honored to be serving our community during this time and thank you for supporting your local food coop!