Produce/Bulk Department Manager
The Morrisville Food Coop is a member owned community food cooperative that emphasizes healthy, organic, fresh and locally produced products. We are supporting our local growers, farms and producers, by providing quality products to our members and customers, while also strengthening our local economy. We strive to promote products that are naturally produced, organic and environmentally and socially responsible.
The Co-op is currently in search of a dynamic individual to provide leadership in both our Produce and Bulk Foods Department at our Morrisville, Vermont store. The Produce/ Bulk Manager responsibilities will include ordering of raw product and supplies for both our Produce and Bulk Departments and implementing merchandising initiatives that promote sales, while meeting customer requirements and maximizing profits. This position will also be responsible for directing and managing all associate activities related to produce and bulk foods, including staff training in proper food handling, presentation and product knowledge. Individuals with culinary or prepared foods experience are highly encouraged to apply.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Manages department inventories by tracking weekly sales reports and orders product and supplies so as to meet customer requirements and the company’s revenue goals.
- Oversees store associates and assists with their training, rewards and recognizes their performance and delegates their work assignments so as to most effectively utilize their talents and abilities.
- Develops and implements localized merchandising plan for the department, sets up and creates displays for new and seasonal items as well as items that are tied-in with other department promotions, in order to meet the sales and profit objectives of the store and the department.
- Prepares, maintains and tracks all types of records concerning inventories to calculate gross monthly profits according to company guidelines.
- Follows established departmental procedures for receiving merchandise including inspecting the product when delivered, pricing the product and restocking cases to insure freshness and quality, accuracy and product rotation.
- Controls department expenses by improving operations and efficiencies, by reducing losses due to shrinkage.
- Maintains effective housekeeping program. Keeps merchandise clean and fresh so as to meet all health department regulations, pass sanitation inspections and meet company standards. Ensures that associates work and operate equipment in a safe manner at all times, complying with OSHA requirements. Ensures compliance with local, state and government weights and measures laws.
- Develops and maintains communications with other staff in order to devise marketing plans, which will help meet the financial objectives of the store. Keeps Store Manager fully informed of these actions.
- Identifies areas in the Produce Department where improvement in customer service is required, then implements changes and procedures to address these needs.
- Maintains accurate records on all important matters.
- Also performs duties of staff as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- May supervise other associates in the absence of the general manager.
Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
- Previous grocery Produce managerial experience of 2+ years.
- Good leadership skills to direct the work of others.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for dealing with customers, associates and vendors, above average analytical skills to understand and interpret various reports.
- Knowledge of Catapult ECRS / POS, MS Office Suite of products, including excel spreadsheets.
Works in normal store environment where there is limited physical discomfort, although goes into refrigerated sections for inventory stocking and retrieval. Interacts with customers and associates daily.
- Lifting and carrying over 50lbs
- Bending, reaching and grasping
- Standing for extended periods and walking
- Some tolerance for stress
- Hearing (Auditory)
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Review of applications will start immediately and continue until position is filled.